Friday, June 20, 2008

Viralling Out of Control



This parodic video, which is also available at the I'm Voting Republican website, has garnered over two million views. I found myself more interested in the behind-the-scenes story of the people at Synthetic Human Pictures who produced it. Unlike traditional media production companies that general avoid a partisan profile that might cut into their client base, a number of digital video start-ups are achieving name recognition by doing political viral videos. Although they lack a demo reel or samples from commercial clients, Synthetic Human is using the election as a way to "make rain" for their small company.

Thanks to Ted Striphas for the link.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anybody know, what qualifies as a "view" when YouTube counts views? Is it loading the page? Starting the video? Finishing it?

I ask because I got this too, and watched a few of the vignettes before having to close the window because it was so stomach-churningly blatant.

Since view counts seem to be a primary way of measuring perceived value for viral videos -- the number may even act as a viral impulse itself -- it makes me wonder what it means to "view" something in this brave new world.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've assumed that it means loading the page, but I'm not sure that I'm right about that. Certainly increasing the number of page views increases the virality in ways that are problematic, and popularity is certainly not a measure of quality.

I actually found the video pretty amusing, if maybe a little disposable.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home