Sunday, April 23, 2006

I Just Call 'Em Like I See 'Em

I plan to do a one-week experiment in which I abandon humorous headlines and clever catchphrases in order to choose descriptive search terms that more logically index the content for automated bots.

I learned about this approach from the New York Times article "This Boring Headline Written by Google," which was still a little tongue-in-cheek in its title. Successful blogs like Boing Boing figured this strategy out long ago, according to "How Google News is Changing the Way Newspaper Headlines are Written for Search Engines" in Collision Detection, which has also adopted this literal-minded tactic. Then again, Collision Detection claims that technology has always shaped the style of newspaper prose, from the time of the telegraph, which introduced the "inverted pyramid," to the present.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home