Saturday, December 24, 2005

The War We've Been Waiting For


Am I the only one in America who knows that we are planning an invasion of France? Perhaps not. The Army video Future Combat Systems: 2005, introduced by General Peter Schoomaker, is easily accessible from the World Wide Web. In the film we see "Assault on Normandy 2014" in which it appears our boys take on those pesky Frenchmen with their very best high tech gear. Of course, I'd like to believe "Normandy" is a code name . . . or just a metaphor for a daunting military front.

But looking at the actual video with its swarthy opponents, ominous buildings covered with Arabic graffiti, and streets of burning cars, I couldn't help but wonder if the U.S. armed forces weren't planning to start their occupation of the land of liberty, equality, and fraternity in the territory of the recently rioting French suburbs.

Don't get me wrong. No one is a bigger Francophile than I am, but if it means I get to eat better cheese, then I guess I'll have to go along with it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home