Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Branding for Melancholy


Since I brought Lincoln up in my previous post, a brief hiatus from my usual digital rhetoric soapbox seems in order for one of my non-virtual heroes from traditional American oratory. Having recently seen the state-sponspored blockbuster show on melancholy in France, I couldn't help but notice that the Great Emancipator is often painted or photographed in the conventional downcast pose of melancholy, unlike many famous and powerful men. This makes the holiday gussying up of Lincoln at the White House even more incongruous.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lupton said...

There is a new book out by Joshua Wolf Shenk called Lincoln's Melancholy I love your link to the First Inaugural -- priceless record of a great writer revising his work.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home